The AIM Act is here, and the implications are already being felt across the industry. It may seem confusing, but Hudson is here to breakdown what the AIM Act means for everyone.
What Does It Mean?
1. Virgin HFC Phasedown: Through production and consumption allowances.
2. HFC Refrigerant Management: Create standards that maximize recovery and reuse.
3. Transition to Next-Generation (HFO) Technologies: Implement sector-based restrictions to facilitate the change.
4. Disposable Cylinders: Ban starting in 2025 to prevent illegal imports.
5. Tracking: QR code tracking on cylinders.
6. Sectors: AIM Act applies to all sectors that utilize HFC’s, not just HVACR.
7. Chemical Producers: face the challenge of dividing HFC allowances between HVACR, Aerosols, Fire Suppression and Foam Blowing applications.
8. EPA required to: Promulgate certain regulations for purposes of maximizing reclamation and minimizing releases of HFCs and their substitutes from equipment.
Impacts on the HVACR Market
- This phasedown is different than others before it
- Installed base of equipment will continue to grow
- Available refrigerant will decline
- Tightening of HFC supply at all levels
- Some applications and market segments will be harder hit earlier than others
- Reclamation of HFC’s is crucial to support the installed base during the transition to next generation HFO’s
- HFO equipment will not be widely, commercially available in the market for 2 to 3 more years
- Building code updates slowing adoption
How Hudson Can Help:
- Reclaim: Reclamation of HFC’s is crucial to support installed based during transition to next generation HFO’s. The demand of HFCs will exceed the supply.
- On-Site Service: Preserving your chiller charge for as long as feasibly possible by decontaminating the existing shells. Seamless, rapid conversion so there is minimal downtime when converting your system.
- Expertise & Guidance: Work with you on retrofit alternatives and offer knowledge on proper refrigerant transition to lower GWP Alternatives (HFOs).
- Sales: We offer one of the largest refrigerant selections in the country.