You might be worried about the future availability or continued use of R22 after January 1, 2020. On that date the U.S. Environment Protection Agency (EPA) phaseout of newly manufactured or imported R22 goes into effect.
Rest assured that R22 will remain legal to use and widely available long after January 1, 2020. Need independent proof? Check out this EPA brochure detailing the facts about R22.
What the Phaseout Means.
- R22 will remain 100% legal to buy, sell, and use now and after January 1, 2020
- Only virgin manufacture and import of R22 is being phased out
- The supply of R22 is robust and prices have stabilized
- Well maintained systems can last 25 years or more
- Systems that are designed for R22 work best with R22
- R22 is the most widely used refrigerant in North America
- R22 is in residential systems, businesses, campuses, industrial sites – just about everywhere!
- Beginning January 1, 2020, no new R22 manufactured or imported into the U.S. will be allowed onto the market
- R22 can and should be reclaimed (per U.S. EPA regulations) or used from existing stocks
- In 2020, despite the virgin manufacturing ban R22 will still be the most widely used refrigerant in the U.S.